Yes, I'm alive. I just got back after spending the weekend with my friend August (third picture) and his cat Prince Albert (second picture) in San Miguel de Allende (fourth picture), a bastion for expats that want to escape to the whims of Mexico
I had a good time in San Miguel, despite August being a hypochondriac about the flu. Last night we hung out with his friend Humberto and drank beer and mescal, and smoked...cigarettes. I woke up with a mild headache and scratchy throat. Hmm... hangover? Or swine flu? These are the important questions to ask when a potential pandemic is sweeping the world. Given the risks of going to clubs and also being in contact with other humans, it seems that binge drinking alone is probably the best option. Anyway, we played tennis, went to a hot springs, and I wandered around town shopping for crafts and enjoying the cobblestone streets and Texans. It is a really nice place, but very different from being in Mexico City. One major difference is that I get called and whistled at, something I've gotten used to while traveling and living in Latin America. It doesn't happen much in Mexico City and most people pretty much ignore me. It's a little disappointing because one of the perks of being in Latin America is getting attention for
So I got plenty of it in San Miguel, a smaller and more provincial town. And I could never pass for a Mexican there, no matter what. No one asking me for directions!
Note about cause of deaths: Up until now, only 20 of the 80 deaths have been confirmed because of swine flu. 20. of 20 million. Anyone have a calculator? And none of the suspected 1,400 cases are confirmed. I think there were more people who died of malnutrition over the weekend than from the swine flu. Or what about the regular influenza? 2.3% of deaths annually in Mexico are from the regular, old flu. There's a lot of questioning going on around here, but unfortunately I think the poor economy is most at risk. With the city shut down and tourism being discouraged, this country is, excuse my language, fucked.

Gallows humor....
ReplyDeleteSeth are you referring to the "hot lady attention" aspect? Interesting interpretation. ;) Now I will just wait for you to read this, turn around in your chair, and roll your eyes at me.
ReplyDeleteAmy please promise to keep that mask on at all times, it makes your eyes look very pretty. Also I don't think catching swine flu is directly part of your dissertation research. Just sayin. Also I bet it drastically cuts down on the number of bugs accidentally inhaled, which could be a good or bad thing depending on your protein needs. Anyways, we miss you and hope you are healthy and good!
Alas, I'm reading this and you are not here Eliza.
ReplyDeleteI will concur that the mask brings out the color in your eyes nicely.
Plenty of insects are eaten for pleasure in Mexico City, oui?